About Us

My photo
Spain
Now living in l'Olleria, south of Valencia

Friday 8 February 2008

¿Hablo Español?

Well, at last I’ve started going to Spanish Lessons. They do 3 classes per week. Monday; vocabulary, Tuesday; Grammar, Thursday; Conversation. At the cost of €15 per year.

My first visit was terrifying. The classes are aimed at everyone who needs to speak Spanish, so the teacher only speaks Spanish. The classes contain people from England, China, Morocco, Bulgaria etc. I felt absolutely drained after ½ hour, but I still had 1 hour to go!

I’ve only been going to the Tuesday and Thursday ones so far, but now I don’t feel too terrified when going into shops, where I might have to speak. Indeed, recently, I managed to order 6 pallets of breeze blocks and a pallet of cement, all to be delivered. (Easy? Not when your house doesn’t have a name, and your road doesn’t either!!) But, I must have done it right, as they all turned up next day, as arranged.

The classes run from October to May, so I missed the first few months, and it shows. However, everyone is in the same boat, and no one laughs when you say something wrong, so I am enjoying it. I will repeat the course again in October, and I should get a lot more out of it next time.

I feel bad when I watch people squirm as I try to explain what I want, but generally we all get there, and then there are smiles all ‘round! Only once have I had to resort to “yo returno con uno amigo que hablo Español” my version of “I will return with a friend who speaks Spanish”.

John (brother) has also told me about the BBC Language courses on the net, which are really good.

Poco poco (little by little)

No comments: