About Us

My photo
Spain
Now living in l'Olleria, south of Valencia

Sunday 31 August 2008

The Great Escape



Part 1

Ed got up one day last week, and the dogs were nowhere to be seen. He simply assumed they were right at the top, or bottom of the garden. When he made their breakfast, the appeared as usual, then trotted off again. Suddenly, he realised that they were gone, and the gate was open. They could be anywhere. Although were are in the countryside, it is actually only ½ mile to the nearest main road.

As I looked out of the bedroom in window – in horror – at the open gate, I saw Paddy and Max. They were leaping with great enthusiasm around Monica and Roberto’s garden! I shouted them, and Ed, and thankfully, in a few minutes they were back where they belonged! The night before, I had loaded up the washing machine in the garage, and I must have pushed the button on the gate fob by mistake. They may have been out all night.

Half an hour later, we discovered that it wasn’t me – one of the scallywags had eaten right through the cable to the gate, and shorted it out – allowing it to open. Thank goodness for Everready Ed and his assortment of tools… within another ½ hour, all was fixed (and concreted back into the ground)!

Part 2

When we got back from the fiesta, it was very late. We opened the gate, and Paddy and Max came bounding down the drive. I went through the gate, and saw Paddy beside the car. I drove down the drive and Ed closed the gate. No sign of Max. He was on the wrong side of the gate!

Ed opened the gate to let him back in, but he realised that it was now open – so it was his chance to run off! This time, we ignored him completely, and made a huge fuss over Paddy – Max soon came bounding back, to see what he was missing!

No comments: